In January 2017 I did a technology trends forecast, thinking I might make it an annual effort. So here we are 2 year later and I'm reviewing how I did.... any comments?
- Graphene based biosensors for sale
- 1st CRSPR 2.0 genomic editing platform drugs hit market
- Voice command device share growth and 1st voice command in cars (native not Applink)
- Blockchain standards (Ethereum) will begin re-seeding peer-to-peer with big scaleup in P2P with 5G rollouts (~2018-20)
IT Infrastructure and Software Architecture:
- Graph storage model query languages "narrowing down to a few" migrating towards a (few) standards much as SQL did for the relational storage model (e.g. MS "Trinity", Google "mapreduce", Oracle "Spacial", Apache "Neo4j", Teradata "Aster")
- Containers take off (Docker vs Kubernetes)
- AI "fad" fades, deep neural nets continue to improve more classic apps (classification problems with separate training/runtime) sped up by GPU's / Silicon to include video scene recognition.
- SAAS Consolidation w/continued growth in hybrid cloud implementations leveraging cloud OS's
- Steady Cyberwarfare in the news, speeds security improvements with "Secure Remote Password" SRP Protocol
- Personal Bots continue to flame out (AI hype)
- 1st Folding OLED products (phones/tablets) by Christmas (mfg capacity expansion)